[Az-Geocaching] Cache Placement rules

Steven Stringham listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:25:45 -0700 (MST)

Ok, being relatively new to this wonderful sport, I have a couple of
questions from the more experianced out there. I am planning on placing my
first set of caches. Still very much in the planning stage, but I am
getting the stuff together.  My kids and I are really looking forward to
our first hide.

Has anybody written a summary of rules and contacts for Arizona lands and
posted it anywhere. I know that there are the overarching geocaching.com
rules, but what about specific rules for Arizona?

I have really enjoyed the urban multicache sites. Everything from looking
for labels on lightpoles, to number of items in a park playground. Good
stuff. But, ultimately the caches are hidden in City of Phoenix park
lands, or generally public parks.

So, I place a cache in a bush in a park (lets say encanto park, just for
grins - no I am not planning one there presently). Who do I ask for
permission, or do I need to because it is a city park? What about
Glendale, Peoria, etc.?

What about a neighborhood park (like in a subdivision, not next to a
school)?  Or in a neighborhood flood control park?

What about having clues on school property? Not the caches, but clues? I
know that there are rules for visitors on school properties, are we to ask
them to put a sticker or label on one of their light poles?

National forest lands have been discussed since I have been on the thread,
and are generally ok, but contact the ranger before/after the hide? Be
careful not to place it near a archiological site.
Reservation lands are off limits.

I also see that they exist on state trust lands as well. What about the
stuff just a few miles out of town? Do I need permission from somebody? I
know that I need a permit to travel on these lands. But, what about
hidding something out there? I have seen some of the junk left about out
there (abandoned cars, wheels, beer cans, etc).  I see that the general
group tries to be good and clean up where possible. But, are we adding to
it by putting our caches out there? I don't think so, but I want to get
some opinions.

Thanks,
Steve,
Team SteveJS