[Az-Geocaching] Century Mark

Jim Stamm listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:29:19 -0700

Congratulations to Wily Javelina for hitting the Century Mark!  And a
special thanks to Wily Javelina for making my Buster Springs Cache the
100th.

>I decided to make this cache my century find, I am glad I did. A very
>interesting location, I would sure like to know more about the history of
>this area.

Part of the land that Catalina State Park stands on was once the
homestead ranch belonging to Francisco (I think) Romero.  The Apaches
kept picking off his livestock, until he finally abandoned the property
and moved into town.

Years later his son moved to the old homestead and began ranching it
again.  There are still remnants of the homestead and other buildings in
the Park.

At one time the park staff (with the help of Boy Scouts) attempted to
remove the fence that was erected on the section lines.  The country was
too rough for them to get it all, and there remain a few remnants of that
also;  Including a few places where the old fence material was deposited
for later pickup, which hasn't happened yet.

My fascination with the springs began when I realized that all other
springs that I had visited in the state had trails or roads leading to
and from them.  I wanted to find the trail to Buster Springs that didn't
show on any map.  The rangers told me that there weren't any because "Old
Man Romero" ran a still at the springs, and he was careful not to leave
any trails when going up there.

If one looks carefully, one can find traces of a trace up the mountain.
If one looks VERY carefully, one can find traces of the local history all
over Catalina State Park.

-Jim