[Az-Geocaching] Navajo Nation

Team Coyote1022 listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:21:53 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C2CE25.C5055CD0

I would definitely be interested!

Gordon
Team Coyote1022
  -----Original Message-----
  From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of mike and
gale jett
  Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 12:18 PM
  To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Navajo Nation

  Two of you wrote

  Also, I had the opportunity to speak to a Sergeant with the Navajo Nation
  >Police Department. He told me that they will not allow any geocaches on
  >their lands. If you are caught on their lands without a permit you can be
  >arrested. This is just a reminder to please not place any caches on
tribal
  >lands.

  The sergeant had a story to tell about a couple of cacher that wee shot at
while looking for a cache. When they reported it to him they were sited for
trespassing and told that if the people wanted to kill them they would have.

  I feel the need to defend the Navajo Nation. Some of you may know that
Mike is Navajo born and raised. His family still lives on the reservation. I
lived there for 2 years while working for Indian Health Service. Lately the
tribe has been having a lot of trouble with gangs, a lot more than you might
think. Part of it has to do with the extreme poverty up there as well as
unemployment, alcoholism etc. There has also been a huge push lately to
return to ultra conservative traditional ways which some older Navajos would
like to take as far as cutting out the outside world. That won't ever
happen. There are still many rational people up there. The upshot is, as
long as you treat the Navajo, Hopi, or any other tribe with great respect,
including laws and their privacy, you will be treated the same. Please don't
read all of the above and be discouraged from visiting the reservations of
Arizona. I've done so for over 20 years, with and without Mike, and have al!
! ways been treated very well. On a side note, Mike and I have been talking
about doing an event cache in Canyon de Chelly. His family has a homestead
ranch in the Canyon del Muerto branch beyond where the tourists go. There is
a trail that leads down to his family's cabin (not a hogan). His family
always welcomes guests and permits are not needed for friends of the family
to visit. The views are spectacular. Would people be interested?

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C2CE25.C5055CD0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1126" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D750422004-07022003><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">I =
would=20
definitely be interested!</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D750422004-07022003><FONT=20
face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D750422004-07022003><FONT=20
face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Gordon</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D750422004-07022003><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Team=20
Coyote1022</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com=20
  [mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]<B>On Behalf Of =
</B>mike=20
  and gale jett<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, February 06, 2003 12:18=20
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> listserv@azgeocaching.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> =
[Az-Geocaching]=20
  Navajo Nation<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>Two of you wrote</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Also, I had the opportunity to speak to a Sergeant with the =
Navajo=20
  Nation<BR>&gt;Police Department. He told me that they will not allow =
any=20
  geocaches on<BR>&gt;their lands. If you are caught on their lands =
without a=20
  permit you can be<BR>&gt;arrested. This is just a reminder to please =
not place=20
  any caches on tribal<BR>&gt;lands. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2>The sergeant had a =
story to tell=20
  about a couple of cacher that wee shot at while looking for a cache. =
When they=20
  reported it to him they were sited for trespassing and told that if =
the people=20
  wanted to kill them they would have.</FONT><BR></DIV></DIV>
  <P><FONT color=3D#000000></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P><FONT color=3D#000000>I feel the need to defend the Navajo Nation. =
Some of=20
  you may know that Mike is Navajo born and raised. His family still =
lives on=20
  the reservation. I lived there for 2 years while working for Indian =
Health=20
  Service. Lately the tribe has been having a lot of trouble with gangs, =
a lot=20
  more than you might think. Part of it has to do with the extreme =
poverty up=20
  there as well as unemployment, alcoholism etc. There has also been a =
huge push=20
  lately to return to ultra conservative traditional ways which some =
older=20
  Navajos would like to take as far as cutting out the outside world. =
That won't=20
  ever happen. There are still many rational people up there. The upshot =
is, as=20
  long as you treat the Navajo, Hopi, or any other tribe with great =
respect,=20
  including laws and their privacy, you will be treated the same. Please =
don't=20
  read all of the above and be discouraged from visiting the =
reservations of=20
  Arizona. I've done so for over 20 years, with and without Mike, and =
have al! !=20
  ways been treated very well. On a side note, Mike and I have been =
talking=20
  about doing an event cache in Canyon de Chelly. His family has a =
homestead=20
  ranch in the Canyon del Muerto branch beyond where the tourists go. =
There is a=20
  trail that leads down to his family's cabin (not a hogan). His family =
always=20
  welcomes guests and permits are not needed for friends of the family =
to visit.=20
  The views are spectacular. Would people be interested?</P>
  <DIV><BR clear=3Dall></DIV></FONT></DIV><BR clear=3Dall>
  <HR>
  STOP MORE SPAM with <A href=3D"http://g.msn.com/8HMPENUS/2728">the new =
MSN 8</A>=20
  and get 2 months FREE*=20