[Az-Geocaching] Mohawks in Yuma?

Ken Henson listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:35:47 -0700

--Apple-Mail-2--484645598

> ...I've always associated the Mohawks with upstate New York, James=20
> Fenimore Cooper and all that. Does anyone here know how the "Mohawk=20
> influence" came to Yuma County, Arizona? Barring that, anyone have any=20=

> suggestions as to how I might find out? Googling "Mohawk" and=20
> "Arizona" wasn't much help.

Steve, hope this is what your were looking for?

Mohawk  El.: 545=92  Loc.: Yuma

In 1869 Mohawk was not the same place as Mission Camp.  The later is=20
thirty miles west northwest of Mohawk Station.  The original stage=20
station was also not the same as Mohawk on GLO 1903 (twenty-two miles=20
to the west southwest of Chrystoval).

The original Mohawk Station was so named by men who created the=20
Butterfield Overland stage route.  Many came from New York State and=20
brought place names from there to Arizona.  As a stage station, Mohawk=20=

vanished.  The name came to be applied to the valley in which the stage=20=

station was first located.  Long before this time, the name had first=20
been applied to Mohawk Gap lying between Texas Hill on the east and=20
Antelope Hill on the west, now known as Mohawk Pass.  This same place=20
shows a Mohawk on Smith Map 1879, the first map to use the name Mohawk=20=

Range for the mountains bordering the western side of the valley. =20
These mountains were known in the early days as the Big Horn Mountain=20
or Mohawk Peak.

In the 1880=92s the present Mohawk was established and the population =
was=20
sufficient to require a post office.  In 1956 Mohawk consisted of a=20
section station on the railroad, a service station, a motel and a=20
single residence.  According to post office records, Chrystoval was=20
changed to Mohawk as of September 30, 1905.

The above was taken from: Arizona Place Names, Revised and enlarged by=20=

Byrd H. Granger, The University of Arizona Press, 1960.

--Apple-Mail-2--484645598

<excerpt>...I've always associated the Mohawks with upstate New York,
James Fenimore Cooper and all that. Does anyone here know how the
"Mohawk influence" came to Yuma County, Arizona? Barring that, anyone
have any suggestions as to how I might find out? Googling "Mohawk" and
"Arizona" wasn't much help.

</excerpt>

Steve, hope this is what your were looking for?

In 1869 Mohawk was not the same place as Mission Camp.  The later is
thirty miles west northwest of Mohawk Station.  The original stage
station was also not the same as Mohawk on GLO 1903 (twenty-two miles
to the west southwest of Chrystoval).

The original Mohawk Station was so named by men who created the
Butterfield Overland stage route.  Many came from New York State and
brought place names from there to Arizona.  As a stage station, Mohawk
vanished.  The name came to be applied to the valley in which the
stage station was first located.  Long before this time, the name had
first been applied to Mohawk Gap lying between Texas Hill on the east
and Antelope Hill on the west, now known as Mohawk Pass.  This same
place shows a Mohawk on Smith Map 1879, the first map to use the name
Mohawk Range for the mountains bordering the western side of the
valley.  These mountains were known in the early days as the Big Horn
Mountain or Mohawk Peak.

In the 1880=92s the present Mohawk was established and the population
was sufficient to require a post office.  In 1956 Mohawk consisted of
a section station on the railroad, a service station, a motel and a
single residence.  According to post office records, Chrystoval was
changed to Mohawk as of September 30, 1905.

The above was taken from: Arizona Place Names, Revised and enlarged by
Byrd H. Granger, The University of Arizona Press, 1960.</fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-2--484645598--