[Az-Geocaching] Officially speaking....

Chelby Geiss listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:22:17 -0700

Excellent overview, Larry! I just want to ad a little something with
regards to the Indian Reservations.
I spoke with the Land Use Ordinance Enforcement Officer with the Gila
River Indian Community.  And she had excellent points that I completely
agree with.  The Gila River Indian community is a sovereign
nation...PRIVATE LAND!  And of course we must ask permission to place a
cache on private land.  But, the majority of the reservation land has
archaeological sites and/or are sacred sites!  These need to be
respected!  She stated that the mountain ranges within their community
are currently off limits.  She had a excellent point that all the
mountains around Phoenix were and still are sacred to them. She
understands that people enjoy visiting these, but she asks that we
please respect their wishes in regards to the reservation land because
that is all they have left!  And not trying to get into a "stealing the
land from the Native Americans" fight...but she is right!
And if you need any more reason to stay off reservation land: if you
are caught on the Gila River Reservation without the proper permit, you
risk having anything of value confiscated...that includes your vehicle
and your GPS! And then you will be prosecuted through their judicial
system!
I am going to keep in contact with her.  Like Larry said they are not
against geocaching. She was very interested in it...but we need to
respect their wishes!  We have parks, cities, and forests to cache in.
Their reservation is  372,000 acres...very small. In fact if you look
at a map, the total area of all the reservations combined is not that
large!

I also talked with the National Parks State Coordinator for Arizona.
He is working to get a list of contacts for the various National Parks
that we can put up on azgeocaching for everyone to use.  He was quick
to point out that they have not had any problem with caches in
Arizona(which he was very proud of), but that there has been problems
elsewhere.  He said his people would be more than willing to work with
someone who wanted to place a cache to assure that it was not
threatening anything archaeological or environmental.  So I guess the
point to make here yet again...JUST ASK!:)

There was talk of actually offering some training on how to spot
archaeological sites because several people honestly didn't know their
cache was on a site!  I think this is an AWESOME idea!  Arizona has
something on the rest of the country in that we have a far greater
number of archaeological sites.  Add to that the fact that many of us
are not native Arizonans...we just don't know what to look for!  But
then we got (what seemed to me) the run around from some of the Land
Stewards:
-Shame on you for putting a cache on a site.
*But we didn't know it was a site. Can you please show us what to look
for.
-No that's confidential.
Maybe I took that all wrong...but I kept running in that circle all
last night after the meeting!

Well, I'm going to stop talking now...I know Steve is probably writing
a huge summary of everything as we speak!:)

It was a very good meeting!
C:)
Team desertSol
Chelby & Kevin