[Az-Geocaching] what makes a good cache

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 01:11:31 -0700

>From: "loran wilcox" <loranwilcox@cox.net>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] what makes a good cache
>Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:22:35 -0700
>
>The best caches are those that introduce you to a new area. Without these
>there are many places in Arizona I would have never seen.
>
>I don't need an ammo box with lots of stuff to make a cache good. The good
>caches are those that someone has put some thought into. Hiding it in
>someplace special, finding a new way to hide the cache, or making a game of
>it with a puzzle or some other twist.
>
>The worst caches are the copycats where a person just feels the need to
>hide a cache.
>
>I am probably the worst one here in the valley at playing the numbers game
>but I just have this need to go after any new cache. And I will go after
>all caches I can. I don't like all the caches I find. Some are as Cody
>stated nothing more than "it counts as a find". Some people have wondered
>how I am able to find so many caches. First I have been out of work but
>beyond that when I can find 14 caches in 4 and 1/2 hours they are just too
>easy and/or too close together.
>
>As I am leaving the area I will not have much influence on this area but I
>truly believe that more thought needs to be put into the placement of
>geocaches. I know there is that need to place a cache and a simple one near
>home for the first cache is probably acceptable.  But later hides need to
>show more thought.
>
>For the new cachers out there, wait awhile before you hide a cache to learn
>some of the tricks. This will make the game more enjoyable for everyone.
>Don't worry about a negative karma number. If you look closely the most
>driven cachers have the highest negative karma (with exceptions). It
>doesn't mean a thing. No one expects you to hide a lot of caches. They only
>want you to hide good caches.
>
>Have I said to much?
>
>Loran (Team Sand Dollar)
hhhhhhmmmmmmm... what makes a good cache.... "Any cache that I can find is a
good cache!" :) LOL LOL LOL :)

Seriously. I agree with Loran's post totally. No one could have said it
better.

Team RTW is hoping to get out next weekend to hide our very first cache (!).
We have 331 cache finds and none hidden. (You want to talk about Cache
Karma!?) :O  We want our first cache hide to be a special one. There are a
few places that we want to hide our first cache and we have been waiting
quite a while to place it utilizing my hot air balloon in a given location.
However, we have waited this long and the opportunity doesnt seem to be
around the corner anytime soon. So, we are going to put it in another one of
those few places. The place we want to hide it is a place we have looked at
many, many times as we have driven by it and have always wanted to hike to
this location. There is something at this location that has always
interested us. We have never been there so we don't know what it is. But, we
want to hike there to find out. We are going to put our first cache near
this location. That gives the cache a reason for location. There is a bit of
thought needed for us to hide it as well as for those that will seek this
cache out. As I am kinda 'old school', it will be a coordinates takes you to
the cache (ammo box) kinda cache. However, the views should be awsome and
well worth the adventure getting there. Enough said. No more hints! :)

We will also bring along 2 GPS's to allow each to average out to get the
best possible coordinates. I will use a Garmin and a Magellan GPS. Hopefully
we can provide very accurate coordinates. We will then confirm the
coordinates using a 7.5' topo as well.

As far as contents... that is still up for debate. Have a couple of themes
that we are thinking about. Still deciding which one! :)

Anyways, these are just some thoughts in my mind I thought I would share
with those newcomers (without many finds) that are thinking about hiding a
cache soon. Put some thought into it, know where you are putting it in terms
of landowner issues and a seekers ability to access the cache location, and
also take special care to provide the best possible coordinates.

On another note: Loran. Sure gonna miss ya' bud! Geocaching will just not be
the same around here without ya'! Enjoyed the opportunity to talk with you
at some of the caches we have been at together as well as our joint cache
hike up to Thompson Peak Cache. I guess this is the only way I will ever
catch up to you though! :) LOL  I am hoping we can get our first cache hid
next weekend so just maybe you can get one last cache in before you leave!
;) We would really like for you to get the first find on it too! :)  If not,
we hope you will get back out Arizona way and visit our cache sometime.
Enjoy Michigan and I wish you all the best for your new job and new life in
Michigan.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind