[Az-Geocaching] Forest Fire and Ammo Can Concern

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
27 May 2002 10:41:54 -0700

On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 08:03, Andrew Ayre wrote:
> appears to be in the Bullock fire's path. I am getting concerned what the
> fire will do to the ammo can. I would hate for it to explode and injure a
> firefighter. I did a search on geocaching.com about this and noone else
> appears to have ever mentioned such a concern. We did not place anything in
> the cache that explodes, and from reading the logs of two people who have
> visited it, neither did they. It is buried under a pile of rocks in an area
> with not much vegetation, i.e. rocks and I think fallen pine needles.
> Am I overreacting? Everyone else I ask says I am.

I wouldn't worry, even if some one were to have put a handfull of
bullets in the cache, they would probably just make a loud poping sound
and not go off with enough force to penitrate the can.
The brass is much lighter than the bullet, so it would be the thing
moving the most and it wouldn't have enough mass to really do any
damage.  It might be enough to start the inside on fire, but I'm
guessing under those conditions that wouldn't be a problem since the
inside is probably already scorched.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek