[Az-Geocaching] Geo Rally 1 Question

Darren Johnson az-geocaching@listserv.azgeocaching.com
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:15:15 -0700

> This raises a question that I meant to ask earlier.  Since this is going
> be in the Phoenix area, is it going to be possible for those of us from
> Tucson to come up and have any chance of figuring out clues that might be
> for Phoenix area locations that anyone living up there might know, but
> those of us down here might not?

Hmmmmm. This is someting that I really have put some thought into. The last
thing I want to do is make it so that someone who _wants_ to participate,
can't.  I am going to try to make most of the rally so that a person from
another town won't have too terribly difficult a time with the puzzles.
Many of them will require no knowledge of Phx, and a couple will.  Now I
don't plan for this knowledge to be tested in depth, but knowing the names
of the major malls, major attractions and neighborhoods would be a plus.

One of the things I realize is that there are going to be some of the clues
that people might not be able to get for one reason or another, and because
of the nature of the event, cannot take all day going over.  One of the
plans is for each team to be issued a phone number that they can call for
"hints". (so being a cell phone or a good supply of quarters)  Now each call
they make to the "hint line" will add some time to their run, in ever
increasing amounts.   I also plan to issue each team a special envelope that
contains the final location of the rally, so if someone has an extremely
hard time, has problems along the way, or just tires out of the rally, they
can still participate in the barbeque at the end of the day. Opening the
envelope will just forclude being able to "win" the rally.

Does this answer some of your questions?

Darren