[Az-Geocaching] Portable Files?

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:46:40 -0700

If only there was a way to merge what we get from azgeocaching.com with
the selection capabilities of geocaching.com... <sigh>

There is much to dislike about the current implementation on
geocaching.com. Much of it concerns the reader. The reader is an
intrusive resource hog. Presumably to prevent piracy, the reader's
copying capabilities are deliberately limited to two lines of text at a
time, which makes using a Palm decryption application useless on any
hint longer than about 50 characters. And there is no option to retrieve
the listings with the hints decrypted, either. The find capabilities are
primitive, and the GUI is non-standard (case in point: There is at least
one dialog where the "cancel" button is to the LEFT of the "OK" button,
exactly the opposite of any other software I've ever seen). I guess it
really wasn't designed for what we're trying to use it for.

One thing that geocaching.com does need to change is to add an option to
control how many log entries you can get (or not get). You get the four
most recent logs. Period.

OTOH, the selection criteria that you can establish for a query are very
powerful. For a beta implementation, they seem to have most of the bases
covered very well. There's only one issue I've run into in the query
specifications and ironically enough it involves locationless caches:
Every query requires some sort of geographic limiter. Could be a radius
around coordinates or a zip code, or one or more states or countries.
But you've got to have one. Which makes it impossible, it seems, to
write a single query to retrieve all locationless caches regardless of
their "location"!

Those couple of quibbles aside, I think Jeremy & Company did a very good
job on the initial release. Now if they could only combine that query
capability with a leeetle more flexibility in the user's choice of
output format, I'd be one very happy cacher.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena