[Az-Geocaching] thoughts about urban geocaches...

Scott Nicol az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:44:08 -0800

Howdy,

I went out this afternoon to run some errands and decided to go for a few
urban caches. I drove by 3 of them today and didnt even stop to do them. I
think I know right where they are at.. but, didnt stop as there was just way
to many people around to go for them. They were all in city parks. The ASU
Research Park one had not only people around, but, there are buildings
around it with windows that you cant see in.. but, you know they are looking
out at you!

These 3 caches I drove by are, in my opinion, night time cache finds only
and will go back at night to find them sometime soon.

I went to the airport to pick someone up on an arrival around 5:45pm today
and tried for a few around Tempe/Papago Park as well. I did get two in the
Papago Park area. I drove by A mountain but didnt make the climb. Way to
many people on the trail. Just to afraid I would get up there and not be
able to retreive the cache and log in without being seen. There is also
Sparky's Cache. I drove within 500 feet of that one and it looks like it is
right in amongst the buildings! That is surely a fun cache to get if you
like doing 'undercover' type work and the feeling that comes with it! I do.
But, again.. dont want to chance being seen and chancing someone taking the
cache. I was looking at the logs of the ones that I drove past but didnt do
and see they were all had during the day today. Not sure how. I wasnt about
to. I just didnt want to blow it and have someone see me.

There is way to high of a risk of these urban caches being found by a
non-geocacher and being taken. I think it is important to return the
property around the cache to its very original state. In otherwords, dont
step on bushes for one. I have seen several caches that have alot of bushes
around them trampled on. That is not only a sure sign of where a cache is
hidden to another geocacher.. but, is also not a very positive thing for the
property owners to see. This can surely put geocaching, in that persons
eyes, as a very negative thing. Also, if you move rocks, I think it is very
important to put them back exactly as found and not strew them out around
the area. To keep the place looking exactly like it was before you arrived
is very important. One example is the 'sign of the past' cache I visited
this afternoon in Papago Park. Right around the immediate area of the cache,
there are obvious signs of pedestrian activity. In most desert parks.. it is
illegal to walk off a trail or path. Some even have signs reading to that
effect. The area around this particular cache has obvious signs of the area
being disrupted of its natural state. Again, if a park ranger were to see
this.. they would greatly frown upon the sport of geocaching.

I propose this... I think that any urban caches should have a limit of say
30 days perhaps. After that, they archive. That will limit the chance it
will be found by a non cacher. I think 30 days is plenty of time for anyone
that wants to go for that cache to get it. When I refer to urban caches.. I
mean the ones that are in parks and/or surrounded by houses. The makeout mnt
cache, for instance.. I dont consider a true urban cache. But, I have seen
caches in very populated parks and right amongst neighborhoods. I dont think
these caches shouldnt be hid in these spots.. they are great for a quickie
after work or something and are also good for the youngsters in the
geocaching families. But, how about limiting the time these caches are
stashed? Eventually, they will be found by a non-geocacher and will either
be stolen or damaged. The logs need to be recovered to prove that someone
actually was there and didnt just log their visit to move them up in ranking
or just show they have X number of caches. Where they really there? No way
to tell unless the log is recovered. (I do think we are all honest about
that though, afterall, this IS just for fun).

Also, I think that all geocaches should use 'official' geocaching cases.
These appear to be the small green ammo boxes with the official geocaching
stickers on the side and the paperwork contained within explaining what it
is. I am starting to see several caches that were contained in pint size
paint cans and tupperware containers and such. If someone saw this.. it
could be percieved as trash (litter) and we all want to keep our lands
clean. The official ammo boxes look much more professional. These ammo cases
cost very little and can be had at a military surplus store or from a dealer
of geocache merchandise. If you archive your urban cache after say 30 days..
you will be more likely to still have it there to be retrieved and the same
case used for another cache.

Professionalism is another thing. I dont think the paint cans and such give
the sport of geocaching a very professional image. People will think we are
a bunch of litterbugs hiding paint cans and stuff in our national forests
and city parks, etc. Again, they could very well be percieved as trash in a
non-geocachers mind. Also, if the cache containers remain consistant (all
ammo boxes), as the sport becomes more mainstream... non cachers might begin
to recognize the typical geocache container and perhaps understand what it
is there for and not disrupt it if they should stumble upon it. I know if I
saw a paint can in a nice clean local park, I wouldnt think to highly of who
ever put it there. I know what it is there for as I am a geocacher and see
no problem with it. I am just trying to put myself in a non cachers shoes
and considering their thoughts. On the other hand... if I saw a nice clean
small ammo box with a nice clean 'official geocache' sticker on the side.. I
would perceive it as something of higher value.

I am not trying to preach anything here. I am sure this is stuff most of us
have already heard. These are just thoughts from a new member of the
geocaching family. I now have 15 finds ranging from easy and quick urban
caches to hard to get to caches like the Lone Pine cache on top of 4 peaks.
Myself and my teamies are enjoying our new found hobby and want to see the
sport grow and keep a positive image. I think most will agree with me on
this. We have been geocaching now since the first week of January and
greatly enjoying the excercise the sport has brought us! (I really need
it!). ;)

Thanks for allowing me to express my thoughts on the subject.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Scotts Adventure Flying Web Page
http://www.geocities.com/safwp