[Az-Geocaching] Trash in Tonto

Ken Henson az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:14:31 -0700 (MST)

Subject: Re: Geocaching
To: khenson@cableone.net
From: "Jim B Miller/WO/USDAFS" <jbmiller01@fs.fed.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:05:51 -0500
Apparently-To: <khenson@cableone.net>

This came from the Washington Office of the USFS.

----- Forwarded by Jim B Miller/WO/USDAFS on 02/08/2002 03:04 PM -----

                    Jim B Miller
                                         To:
                    02/08/2002           cc:
                    01:57 PM             Subject:     Re: Geocaching

We do not have a national policy on geocaching at this time.
Consideration
of such a policy is being reviewed.  Regions or National Forests may have
specific policies.  We recommend that before placing geocaches on National
Forest System lands that proposals be submitted to the local forest staff.
The concerns expressed to date include litter; abandonment of private
property; impacts on threatend and endangered species; impacts on heritage
sites; impacts to vegetation, soils, waterways; impact on the wilderness
resource; and social impacts.  These concerns may be increased if motor
vehicles are operated numerous times directly to sites.
We encourage the public to utilize Leave No Trace at www.lnt.org and Tread
Lightly! at www.treadlightly.org principles and guidelines in the use of
the national forests and other public lands.
Thanks.
Jim Miller

lincoln@primenet.com

aka Ken Henson