[Az-Geocaching] Trash in Tonto

az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:19:46 -0700

I'm all for cleaning up the forest and desert! We routinely help with Jeep
clubs on cleanups. I've noticed a big difference lately at the Usery Pass
gate to Bulldog canyon. Someone has been trying to cleanup the trash (looks
like they're burning it).

However, I'd be VERY concerned if we emphasized geocaching. I'm afraid of
what the NFS will say. To some, a geocache is considered "abandoned"
property (trash). Currently, I think most of us have been doing a "don't
ask, don't tell" policy. If we tell (ask), we may not like the answer.

Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"
www.azjeeper.com

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.snaptek.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.snaptek.com]On Behalf Of
JeepNAz@aol.com
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 5:27 PM
To: az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Trash in Tonto

I also think this is a great idea as well as a good PR move....we dont want
the NFS to start treating geocachers like the NPS does. However my thoughts
are that this is a bigger problem then 1 event cache can solve. The article
states that their "Crews will pick up everything on a Sat...  the next day
it
looks like no one cleaned that area in six months". Perhaps a long term
"Cache in Trash out" type of cache might be a good idea in addition to an
event cache for initial cleanup? Maybe one in each Ranger Dist ( Cave Creek
And Mesa ) .
Just some thoughts...we will participate in whatever is decided date
allowing.
Norm...Team JeepNAz